Thursday, September 19, 2024

WE ARE TAUGHT TO DISMISS OUR OWN THOUGHTS - Don Hanley’s blog #56

I pondered what I was learning as I continued having delightful and dreamy meetings with Mary, Jesus’s Mom, and John. I began to think that I was taught to make Jesus an idol of worship rather than learn how to become an increasingly loving being as he taught and lived. I was thinking of the many things I was taught to believe - the worst of these, I believe, is that I am not capable of thinking my own thoughts and must rely on others who are more educated, experienced, or capable than I am.

I had read THE PRINCE by a l6th century fellow named Machiavelli many years ago and thought it applied to Adolf Hitler. who demanded that everyone think just like him. The PRINCE stated that the most important thing a leader must do is to instill fear into the minds of the followers if he wishes to have conforming and loyal followers. Hundreds of years ago, I think that this advice even began to fit the hierarchy of the Catholic Church in matters of faith and morals. The church’s teaching is that one must unconditionally obey the laws as expressed by the bishops and priests, or we would be condemned to hell. It was the kind of fear-filled teaching that smacked of Machiavelli. Some sects make Catholics look like libertarians, e.g., forbidding singing or dancing, or having and driving cars, and many more, if one wanted to go to heaven. And that same kind of teaching applied to nearly everything. I dared not disobey    the government if it wanted me to become a soldier. And, as a male in our society, I must work hard and provide for a family if I was to be a 'good' man. And there are more.
 
I looked forward to talking with Mary and John about this. I was sure they would agree that Machiavelli's ideas were similar to those of the Roman Empire rulers; what about the Mosaic laws?

That evening, I returned to Nazareth and Mary’s beautiful flower garden. John, Ruth, and Julie were with her. Mary said that Paul was ailing with some flu and was resting in her spare room, and Joshua had taken food to him and was watching him. I told my trio of adults about my fear that the Christian churches ruled the faithful by instilling fear in them.  Julie played with her ragdoll as we talked. I told them about my thoughts about the PRINCE and fear-filled leadership, and John said, “This sounds a bit like the way Pharisees see the way we Jews must obey Yahweh. I think most of us conduct ourselves in a way that is not just one way but both ways – with fear and compliance through love and patience.” John said that Jesus often insisted that rules and ways of being are not either/or but both/and.  He condemned any imposition of fear either by word or action. We can honor the laws,  and remember laws were made for man and not man for the laws. And, again, the most important thing for everyone is to grow radiantly loving.

I responded, “And I like that. Most Christians I know are working to be loving and kind but are still somewhat fearful. I think I need to be more aware of the both/and approach, as I often judge myself and others too harshly.”

Mary added, “I fear our Paul of Tarsus has the same challenge. After all, you have lived in that fearful approach to our loving Father. I believe my Son, Jesus, was never afraid of our Father, Yahweh. And he helped Joseph and me to no longer have any of that fear. I still have some fear of our fellow humans, such as Julie’s reaction to that Roman army captain.  I guess some fears are natural and help us stay safe.

John added, “We need to be connected more closely than just gazing at some idol. As Jesus said repeatedly, we need to care for one another in every way and all ways. We are not created to be alone.”

Ruth made an interesting comment: “I think there is a connection between idolatry and adultery. To commit adultery is to try to love more than one person in the same way as one loves his or her spouse. To be an idolater is to idolize or praise some object that is not God, nor is it truly connected to God.” I clapped for her, and the others joined me. Julie looked at us questioningly.

I shared the experience of seeing an inspiring picture of  one of the most radiantly loving person I ever knew - the wife of my dear friend, Joe Dillon. It inspired Joe, but he did not worship it.  I thought of the thousands, even millions of people in the world who were inspired by pictures and statues and even buildings but did not worship them. And with that, I disappeared again.

Now, open your heart and be inspired by an image or a set of writings. Pay attention to the banquet and enhance the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sage by the Sea

The Sage by the Sea #1

I have recently completed writing my memoir, "Finding Flowers in a Little Pile of Sh*t," and started working on a short novel abou...