Thursday, January 18, 2024

A World of Miracles – and I am One! - Don Hanley's blog #19

I woke up this morning and thought: Wow! In only two months, I’ll be 91 years old. That’s a miracle!

And then I thought, I’m a miracle, and everyone is a miracle! Just think, I can lay here in a nice soft bed that someone made, on a mattress that someone made, and put on top of a box spring that someone took the time to make just right. And I’ve been sleeping on sheets made of cotton that someone picked, took all the seeds out of and turned into fibers, and sewed together to make a cloth that became a sheet. And I’m being kept warm by a blanket made of fibers that someone made from chemicals called nylon or rayon. There, I thought of about 20 miracles and haven’t even gotten out of bed. I am living in a universe of miracles! Wow, again.

Notice that you and I can move our arms and legs just by thinking about it. How do we do that? Is thought some miracle, too? We can, of course, find some biological engineer genius who can explain it to us, but it still is a miracle.

As I write this, I realize how often we take what I call miracles for granted until something goes wrong or causes us pain or discomfort. Then, I too often say a few inappropriate words and curse the faulty muscle movement, which I think is the problem. I feel better when I first think: “Thank you for helping me stay alive”. And then attend to my ‘ailment.’

I do not plan to take something to help me feel like a miracle every morning because, after all these years, I have no control over these natural feelings. And I’m afraid that if I do try to control them for a few days, I’ll end up wrecking me.

Please choose to wonder and enjoy the ability to wonder about the wonderful. And I have a wish: That all world leaders will now take a moment and realize that they now have the miraculous power to do more than any other group of people on earth to create peace on earth!

And, all of you bundle of miracles, leaders or not, please count the miracles you are now carrying around with you and think of how they contribute to your ability to love and to . . .

Nurture your heart and refrain from just eating the menu.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sage by the Sea

The Sage by the Sea #1

I have recently completed writing my memoir, "Finding Flowers in a Little Pile of Sh*t," and started working on a short novel abou...