SAM
Dr. Joe Davis sat down in the middle of our large circle of evaluators, staff members of Bayshore Elementary School and the School of Two Thousand Smiles, and 20 fifth graders. He began, "Well, this is our final meeting, and I would like to hear from our..."
He stroked his chin as though he was searching for the right words and chuckled, then continued... "combatant fifth graders." He paused again and looked at a card full of names. "So, why don't you start, Veronica? Please tell us what you and your gang of ten think of this day."
Her principal, Tere Osman, and her teachers sat straighter as Veronica began, "First, we weren't combatants at all, and I hope you, Dr Davis, were joking." Davis smiled and nodded, and Verónica continued, "Good, we have grown to like one another..." She glanced at the grimacing Bob and continued. "Most of us at Bayshore are envious of the Smiles students' freedom, intelligence, joy, and, uh, well, easy way of being around." All but Bob on the Bayshore side smiled and nodded. I think we learned more from them than they did from us, and I hope we can begin to employ some of the practices and spirit of the Smiles school."
All of us on the Smiles side and all but Bayshore's Bob clapped for Veronica and her presentation. Davis asked Ella to start for the Smiles kids. Of course I was sure Ella would make us proud. Ella nodded at the Bayshore side of the gathering and began, "Thank you, Veronica, for your kind words for our school and us. I never, for one minute, thought that we were in any kind of competition. Our Tator, that is what we call our facilitator or teacher, simply told us that he did not know what today was all about, but we just needed to be ourselves and have some fun. And we did have some fun and made some new friends. One of the main things for me was gaining even more appreciation for Dr. Sam Collins and our Smiles school. As we began interacting with the Bayshorians - that's what we began calling them - I thought that they were nice and friendly but kind of afraid to say what they really thought, but as our sessions got going, they seemed to relax and become more enjoyable. I think most of them liked the more playful way we Smiles kids are. And the more we interacted, the more I enjoyed the day; I think we all did." All Smiles kids nodded and all, but one Bayshore kid nodded and sort of smiled.
Davis said a polite thank you and asked Dr. Shirley Samper to say a word as an evaluator. She put her hands together as if praying and solemnly bowed to each group of kids. "I didn't know what to expect when we began this morning, and I was uncomfortable with the plan to observe each student as they studied and talked about a topic, but I didn't know what to replace it with. Who was it that came up with the four integrated groups of five?" She looked at both classes of ten, and Danny slowly raised his hand. "Well, thank you, young man. What is your name?"
In his delightful Southern drawl,
Danny responded, "Danny Sherman, ma’am."
“Well, Danny, thank you. And how long have you been in California and at Smiles School?"
"This is my first year at Smiles, and I came to California in July. Ma'am"
"Well, keep up the good work." Danny thanked her. Shirley, still turning toward our side of the circle, said, "Well, Sam, it seems as though you have the backing of your entourage, er, cohort, doesn't it? Tell me, Sam, how do you gain respect from your students?
"That's easy, I just respect them and encourage every student and staff member to respect them, and they see respect all around them every minute of every day." She still looked a bit doubtful, so I added. "That is not difficult when you let it sink in that we are naturally connected in a positive and loving way to one another. Our environment of love and joy helps us learn. If we are being hurt in any way, we become fearful."
Dr. Phyllis Langdon stared at Danny and said, "I understand that you had a fight with a high school student and sent him to the hospital. What do you think of Dr. Collin's belief that we are born to be kind and loving?"
"I believe it also, and right now I feel bad about not being in touch with my good side. When that guy began picking on me and my friend - a girl. He came across as mean, like my dad in Mississippi, who beat me and my mom regularly. I saw his face on that bully who was hassling us, and well, I just lost it. Sam recommended that I go for counseling to learn how to let go of some of the anger I had been carrying. I think I'm better now, but I guess I need more time and work. Even today, I lost my temper and almost hit another fifth-grader after he made fun of Olivia. I thank Joe for stopping me. That would never happen in Mississippi. Dr. Collins, would you please schedule more counseling for me?" I smiled and said, “Yes, and thank you for asking."
Phyllis turned to me and asked, "And what kind of punishment did you give Danny?
"Doctor, right now, I am saddened that you have not realized that we do not believe that punishment is, in any way, a good way to correct behavior. Understanding, guidance, and respect are far better and more effective. Punishment merely breeds and nurtures fear, anger, and resentment." Nearly all of the students from both schools and the Smiles staff applauded my little speech. Dr. Phyllis Langdon and Tere Osman frowned. I added, "I sincerely believe that punishment creates the anger, fear, cruelty, and hatefulness we see in our world. And Dr. Phyllis, do you think Danny would talk the way he just did if he had been punished?" She just grimaced and looked at me as if I was the dumb one.
Bob of Bayshore nodded and smiled as he looked at Dr. Phyllis Langdon and said, "Dr. Langdon, I am glad that you are on the evaluator team and are supporting the traditional, rigorous way of learning. The Smiles students are fun to be around, but I don't think I would learn much at their school."
Our Smiles student, Ella, joined in. "Is that because you must be made to learn what someone has chosen for you and makes you learn?" All the Smiles students applauded and smiled. The staff and Dr. Samper smiled. Semper also said, “Patria, or is it Dr. Oreana?”
“Patria, and by this time next year, you can add Dr., but I would prefer Patria. Now I am working on my doctoral dissertation.” She was asked what her research was on, and she replied, “I am interested in learning which method of teaching is the most effective. It is basically the same topic we are exploring today. So far, the more informal and friendly method is the best.”
Dr. Davis thanked her and turned to Tere Osman, principal of Bayshore. "Now, Tere, or is it Dr. Osman?" Tere said she was fine with first names on informal days like today, but at school, she asked to be called dr.Dr. Davis nodded and asked her what she would be taking away from this day. Tere responded, “When I first learned of this day, I was not impressed at all, especially when I learned the request came from the Superintendent of Schools. Then our Board told me that there was a sizable payment for everyone involved, so I became interested. Now, at the end of the exercise, I am glad we came.
Davis again turned to the Bayshore students and said, "I would like to hear from our Bayshore student, so Bob, tell us more about why you think you could not learn well if your school used a method like Smiles."
"Well, I like order and rules and being able to talk without being interrupted." He seemed to have stopped, and Dr. Davis asked, "And what do you think about what the young lady from Smiles says that we do not need to just study what others think and write about and that we need to think and choose for ourselves?"
"I think that is just wishful thinking. We are not old enough, nor experienced enough to contribute much to our knowledge."
Chris from Smiles jumped in, "Einstein stated that our imagination is more important than our intellect, and that was before smartphones, when we had a living encyclopedia in our hands that contains all the thoughts and discoveries that have been made up until now in human history. Now it is our challenge to use our imagination to add to the store of knowledge. And Bob, I think you have the ability to be creative. We still have many challenges before us, like poverty, world peace, crime, creative schools – both academic and trade schools, medicine, and the arts. So, let's use our imaginations and help take care of some of these things. I honestly think that if our voters were really thinking, and had been taught to think in elementary school, we would not have elected morons to be our presidents." Everyone on the Smiles side and some on the Bayshore side applauded Chris.
Dr. Davis looked at his watch and announced, "Well, it is alittle past our scheduled closing time, so we need to end our very enlightening day. I have to admit that I have enjoyed it more and learned more than I expected. Thank you all. And Sam, one last question: do you and your students really have a sit-down lunch served every day like we had today?" I nodded and he said, "Well, thank you for a pleasant and nutritious day. Thank you all, and I will send you a copy of our report to the California Superintendent of Schools."
Everyone applauded, even Bob and Dr. Phyllis Langdon.

No comments:
Post a Comment