Wednesday, July 24, 2024

SAVORING THE POWER TO BE WITH - Don Hanley’s blog #48

For days, I reflected on the nature of love as my trio of friends in Nazareth talked about it. I thought of some people, both men and women, who I believed lived that kind of love. I also wondered how well I had lived it. Thinking about this prompted me to meet Mary and her visitors in another vivid dream. This time, the trio seemed quite excited that Paul had awakened. Joshua, Ruth, and Julie stayed home and ensured Paul was okay.

Again, Mary greeted me warmly, “Welcome, our 21st. Century friend. Luke told us that Ruth and Joshua’s visitor, Paul, has awakened and is amazed at how well he feels emotionally. He is having a hard time realizing that he has been in a coma for three weeks or so. I was telling her that I was certain that he, in his entire life, had never experienced the kind of loving care that she, Joshua, and Julie have given him. She was about to argue with me when you showed up.”

“And I’ll bet you are right, Mary. And I'm beginning to believe that he is receiving the kind of love that Jesus wanted everyone on earth to express to everyone. I hope this fellow, Paul, begins to tell people about that rather than persecuting those who know how to love. What do you think, John and Luke?”

“It’s too soon to tell.” Luke added, “Physically, he will take several more days to heal sufficiently to get out of bed and do more time than it takes to go to the latrine. He is muttering about how wonderfully kind you and Joshua are to him.”

John added, “And, Don, I’m glad that you have recognized that Ruth and Joshua’s love is exactly what Jesus told us about and insisting that we all have the power to be so kind. We need to open our hearts and express it rather than be cruel, envious, and all the other ways that hinder us from being peaceful, creative, and gifted folks. Were you teaching this as a priest in your younger years?”

“I would like to say ‘Yes,’ but I was told about it, but I was not taught how to help others and be self-accepting. I think I was taught to be a kind of Christian Pharisee - spouting all kinds of so-called spiritual laws and ‘shoulds’ that everyone must do and keep if they wanted to get to heaven and be with the Father.”

The last time I was here, Ruth was kind enough to say that she experienced me as a lovingly kind person. I responded, “I can only say that being with Mary, John, Luke, and her has helped me to become more loving and kind. It is something that I believe we must experience, as John says, and not something that is taught like a language or doctrine.”

And with those ‘wise’ words, I vanished again; so, please . . .

Be the kind of person who radiates love and kindness and does not read the menus but enjoys the banquet of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sage by the Sea

The Sage by the Sea #1

I have recently completed writing my memoir, "Finding Flowers in a Little Pile of Sh*t," and started working on a short novel abou...