Thursday, March 7, 2024

A Computer Cannot Replace a Person – Don Hanley's blog #26

Students yearn to be INVOLVED in their learning and life. When they are excluded, they become anxious, depressed, and sometimes even commit suicide. They may feel involved when they play exciting computer games and even become addicted to playing them. But this is a non-life-giving kind of involvement because no game or computer cares about me or you. It cannot replace a human friend or companion. It cannot put its arms around me and say, “Good job, Don.” or “I love you.” It can print or even voice it, but you won’t feel its warmth or caring.

I lived in small towns for most of my first 20 years, and although I lived with my poor working-class family, my life demanded I be involved in work and life. Fortunately, I enjoyed working and being with people I cared about. Over my 90 years, I have observed the increase in the number of mothers who added work outside the home, often because the family needed them to and more often for self-fulfillment. I believe they deserve to do this. An unintended consequence is the number of children coming home to empty houses and/or daycare centers has increased – along with the increase in anxiety, depression, suicide, and use and misuse of computers.

Part of the solution to this human and social problem is to change our schools. We need to make our schools centers on learning, nurturing, caring, encouragement, joy, companionship, excitement, and involvement. These schools must abandon the four-school model and make them K-12 places where every day begins with a wake-up of 20 to 30 minutes when all students and staff sing and dance as a group – to celebrate life and the beginning of a new day. Parents could stay and dance too, and not  just to observe, not to judge, but to be involved! All faculty and staff are chosen because they enjoy life and especially enjoy children of all ages. A school is a place for cooperation and friendly competition. These schools will be more expensive and can be paid for by thorough national and local savings in medical expenses and the reduction of spending on the so-called ‘defense’ and ‘homeland security’ budgets.

So, let the dancing and singing Begin and join me . . .

Nurture our hearts, honor positive menus, and delight in the banquet of life!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sage by the Sea

The Sage by the Sea #1

I have recently completed writing my memoir, "Finding Flowers in a Little Pile of Sh*t," and started working on a short novel abou...